After much discussion, I have just signed a contract to teach a two-day class on Social Media and Ministry at McCormick Theological Seminary in Chicago. As many of you know, the integration of Social Media and Ministry has been a passion of mine for a while, so I am excited about giving this a try in a broader context.
Class objectives are to:
- achieve a basic understanding of the technical and cultural foundations of social media;
- learn basic skills on such social media platforms as: Twitter, Facebook, Blogger and others;
- be able to articulate theological underpinnings in order to faithfully integrate social media into particular ministry contexts;
- build a community of support and resources in and amongst the participants that will last beyond the formal class time;
- Dates: October 15-16, 2010
- Time: Morning of October 15th ending late afternoon on the 16th;
- Contact: For more information contact Jeff Japinga at McCormick;
- Structure: Built off of this initial structure;
- Cost and Arrangements: TBA soon. To include church group rates and students bargains!
- Okay, so I need 1-2 (or more depending on the class) to operate as Class assistants for this time. Your role would be to just help folks out as I lead them through the crazy that is Social Media. This would be "work for food" and a gift kind of thing as we are just trying this out. If you are in the Chicago Area and might be interested, please let me know if you are interested.
Again, there are more details that will come from McCormick soon, but just wanted to let people know. We hope to have a mix of seminary students, pastors and anyone else that is interested take part in this experience so if it works out, hope to see you in October.