With the posting of this update, you still have about 38 hours until you will no longer be able to be an offical backer of my first Kickstarter Project: A book on race. There are still many great rewards to be had: pre-order your book, pick up some great art from Ryan Kemp-Pappan and/or get on my calendar to guest preach at your church or speak at an event.
I am getting close to finalizing the meat of the book, the section that will lift up statements made to me by well-intentioned people over the years. I firmly believe that these words were shared honestly and without malice or intent to create conflict. In fact, I suspect that as most of these statement have been uttered, the awkward pause or unexpected reaction that has followed has shocked and surprised those who have said the words.
There will obviously be a little more background in the book to flesh these out as well as how these may sentiments may be experienced by different groups. For each statement I will tell the story, name the strain that is created and suggest a helpful shift in perspective or language.
- “No, where are you FROM?”
- “Racism will go away if you would just stop talking about it?”
- “Race is just a social construct.”
- “But I don’t see you as Asian?”
- “Asian is in.”
- “Why are you being so sensitive?”
- “But minorities can’t be racist.”
- “Be grateful, at least it’s not as bad as it used to be.”
- “And out comes the race card.”
- “We need at least one.”
- “Your English is really good.”
- “I’m sorry, I can’t tell any of you apart.”
- “Do you know martial arts?”
- “I don’t mean to be racist, but . . .”
- “What kind of Asian are you?”
- “He’s a different kind of Black.”
- “It’s hard being White today.”
- “We’ve tried, but how will we learn if you don’t show up?”
- “Why do all the minorities always group together?”
- “Those people . . .”
I am limiting this list to 20 – because I just have to stop somewhere – but feel free to ask questions, offer your own version and/or let me know if there is something that must not be left off. All input will help to give nuance and texture to my writing. I have purposely not give much context to these statements to leave some mystery for the book and the order is not final.
Again, if this intrigues and you want to be part of this project, please BECOME A BACKER ON KICKSTARTER today.
Time is running out 🙂