Each time I receive an invitation to speak at an event, lead a retreat and/or preach at a church, there is a part of me that looks over my shoulder to make certain that they don’t have the wrong guy. At the same time, I realize that over me life, I have had an opportunity to see the church and world in different ways and bring a unique perspective around faith, politics, race, technology and life in general — so I am honored to be asked.
I generally speak and lead on topics of race, technology, faith, parenting, etc. That said, I am also willing to engage in a variety of settings: traditional keynoting of conferences, casual church retreats, web streamed gatherings, or any other ways that people gather these days. You can see some of my recent presentations over on SlideShare.
If you are interested in having me come to your gathering, please take a look at my speaking guidelines as well as my speaking calendar below. If you think there is a possibility, please contact me and I’ll get back to you ASAP.
Speaking Guidelines as of May 1, 2017
- Honorarium: My honorarium is flexible – it really is – but please keep that this is the way I make my living and I take into consideration the time spent away from my home, family, and dogs. My rates are $3,000 per presentation day for the first day and $750 per day after that. This includes up to four hours of “on time” per day including workshops, keynote presentations, preaching, etc.
- Contract and Payment: After we agree to the details of the event, I will prepare and send a contact and invoice. I require a 50% deposit for the event. Please have remaining honorarium ready to hand to me before I leave . . . please.
- Travel to and from: I prefer to arrive the night before an event begins in order to get settled. If I need to fly, I prefer Delta Airlines and originate from San Francisco International Airport (SFO). Parking is $15 per day or cab is $40 each way.
- Travel during: For events that are going to span more than a few days, I am willing to rent a car and get myself around. The event would simply cover the cost of the car and any extra fuel. My car rental company of choice is Hertz.
- Room: Accommodations do not have to be fancy, but I prefer a hotel/private room. More of an introvert that I would like to admit, hanging out with folks 24/7 (even in someone’s home) is just too draining. My hotel family of preference is Hilton.
- Board: Meals should be covered during the span of the event.
- Expenses: There are generally no other expenses unless agreed upon in advance.
- Other Support: I am generally pretty self-sufficient for events. I usually need to have a projector with sound capabilities available. Wireless is generally needed for participants, but not a necessity for me.
- Book Sales: I also hope to be able to sell my books on-site if possible. This can happen via the conference bookstore and/or via a display that I can bring. I can provide a 40% discount for events. Book-signings are not included in program hours.
- Contracts: As soon as we agree on dates and scope of my services, we must sign a contract stating the exact terms of our time together. If, after that, you require more services, we will renegotiate the agreed upon honorarium.
- As I leave my room each morning, white doves will shower lavender rose petals along my path.
- Whenever I walk into a room the theme from the Friends will be piped in.
- All blue M&Ms will be removed from my sight line of site.
- All depressing news or mention of the NY Yankees will be clipped from my morning paper 😉
Again, I am flexible on any of this, but I figure that it is better to put it out there and get all the awkwardness out of the way. If you would like to explore the possibility of me being part of your event, please take a look at my travel schedule below, contact me and we can work from there.
* Just in case my humor is lost on some folks, these are not serious.