Okay, so I was REALLY bored on a flight sometime this past year and came up with this list of, dare I say, witty back-handed critiques of the the whole Postmodern, BoBo, Emergent culture. Before the socioeconomic and cultural critiques begin, I confess that I am firmly entrenched in the postmoderniness of life . . . whatever that means 😉
Top 10’ish Ways you may
be able to tell you just might be one of those :: "Postmodern" :: "Emergent" ::
"BoBo" :: "Cultural Creative" :: religious folks.*
- You can’t believe that some idiot would actually have the audacity and arrogance to try and come up with a “Top 10 ways you may be able to tell you are “Postmodern” list."
- You currently have at least three types of screens on your person right now: computer monitor, LCD projector, TV, mp3 player, phone, PDA, etc.
- You use the words “Context” “Like” or “Dude” way too much!
- Contrary to what your parents told us we actually can watch TV, listen to the Radio, IM and be productive all at the same time! And if it happens in a café with free WiFi while you are sucking down an iced fair-trade triple mocha, all the
- You can watch “Wedding Crashers” “Dogma” and “Hotel Rwanda” and find some level of meaning, affirmation and satisfaction in all of them.
- At conferences you wonder to yourself, “Tell me again, why are we starting off by thanking all these people even before we know them or eachother?”
- You have sent an eMail to a roommate, spouse, partner or family member who is sitting right next to you.
- When filling out a form asking to self identify you usually have one of the following responses, “All of the above” or “Don’t try to put me in a box.”
- You have said at least one of the following phrases, “What do you mean you don’t check your eMail every day?” “Spiritual, but not religious” “Let’s have a beer and talk about God” “You should definitely put this movie in your Queue” or “Can you beam that to me?”
- You TOTALLY believe there is a capitol “T” spiritual Truth, but no one better dare try to tell you what it is or give you the 7 steps to finding it.
- Boys, you identify with at LEAST one of the following traits: goatee, untucked button down dress-shirt, black square-toed shoes, jeans in worship, hair product, well-groomed, and/or ipod. (While there are always exceptions, in my experience, women are not NEARLY as outwardly shallow in their need to exhibit their bright shiny postmodern plumage.)
- You are done with trying to make the world seem calm, organized and simple; rather you are simply trying to find some peace, meaning and stability amidst the reality of a world of constant chaos and transitions.
- You think this list is somewhat creative and you can’t wait to add it to your blog or pass it on to a friend via eMail or IM.
are unknown, just flex your Google muscles!