Tomorrow, bright and early I am on my way to hang out for a week with some of my favorite people in the world. Known as the Young Urban Pastor’s Gathering or YUP, this is a group of folks have have provided me over the years with a place to decompress and rejuvenate. This year we are spending the week in Austin, TX and expect to have a grand time. We will welcome in a few new folks and continue our tradition of fun, food and fellowship!
A few thoughts to begin my trip:
- Texas two times in the same calendar year. Wassup with that?
- Does that say a high of 90?!?!? I thought I was done with shorts.
- I will not be unplugged totally, a few hours each night for two reasons: one, major church developments and, two, I am addicted to Scrabulous.
- My reading list: The Cult of the Amateur: How Today’s Internet is Killing Our Culture by Andrew Keen, The Paranoia Switch: How Terror Rewires Our Brains and Reshapes Our Behavior–and How We Can Reclaim Our Courage by Martha Stout, and Further Tales of the City by Armistead Maupin.
- I am incredibly unorganized as I get ready to go and am unapologetically relying on some of my more organized friends to point me in the right direction. I know I have a car, place to stay and a return ticket.